hc-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Sutton <adr...@intencha.com>
Subject Re: InputStream part source
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:36:54 GMT
> In reading Adrian's recommendation, it sounds like I can't be
> guaranteed that it will call createInputStream only once
> Does the two settings above guarantee that createInputStream will be
> called only once, or should I adjust the InputStreamPartSource to
> handle the case where HttpClient asks for the new stream more than
> once?

You should definitely cater for the case where the stream needs to be
created again.  The simplest design (generally, perhaps not for you) is
to have the createInputStream actually create the input stream instead
of just returning it.  This is particularly useful because it avoids
creating the input stream altogether if the server can't be found or
the request fails early for some other reason.

Having said that, for quite some time FilePart couldn't resend it's
content without anyone noticing (true to murphy's law a client of mine
hit the problem first), so there's a reasonable chance you'd get away
without being able to resend.

The decision mostly comes down to what the consequences of failure are
and how likely you are to have an authentication failure or some other
error returned by the server (too busy, redirect, or any of a wide
range of things that can cause the request to be resent).

> David Sean Taylor

Hope that helps,

Adrian Sutton.

Intencha "tomorrow's technology today"