hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/httpclient/src/test/org/apache/commons/httpclient TestAuthenticator.java TestHttpState.java TestHttps.java TestMethodsExternalHost.java TestWebappBasicAuth.java
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:24:13 GMT
Christopher,

I understand your position. The problem of maintaining the compatibility
with 2.0 APIs has been discussed several times on this mailing list, and
if my memory does not fail me, the consensus was that it could not be
maintained in the future versions. The existing architecture cannot
evolve, sadly, it has got to be redesigned so it could be 'evolvable' in
the future. HttpClient is in a dire need of a better design. We have
been very explicit about it.

This said, we will maintain 2.0 branch for those who rely on it, but we
also have obligations to other users as well. Some bug fixes are simply
not possible if existing architecture is to be preserved.

I hope you will be able to see beyond the interests of your own project.

Cheers

Oleg