hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] 2.1 release plan
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:55:45 GMT
Hi Eric

> 1) Some of the headers refer to "2.0", whereas the body of those same
> sections refers to "2.1".  I think you meant to change the headers....

I have to confess that I am guilty of just taking 2.0 release plan as a
template, as I had never written release plans before. Apparently I have
overlooked a few references to 2.0 plan.

> 2) For the "post 2.1" development section, I found the intent and
> content of this section confusing.  Is it supposed to be outlining how
> to develop 2.1.X releases, or 2.X releases, or X.X releases, or all of
> the above?  In any case, there seems to be insufficient detail.

This entire section is copied from 2.0 release plan pretty much
verbatim. My assumption was that it described standard Apache milestone
development process. I felt I should not monkey around with it too much.
If there is someone who happens to know more about Apache development
process, please advise if we should keep that section in the release
plan.

> 3) I'd like to seem some mention and perhaps the inclusion of the
> development of the 3.0 interface suite, if others are actually agreeing
> to what I proposed(?).  If we get the APIs out there, we get feedback on
> them sooner, and can deliver 3.0 sooner.  Therefore I'd like to see them
> have some official mention in a 2.1 release.

I believe 2.1 & 3.0 release plans should be kept as separate documents.
I was planning to start working on release 3.0 plan, which would be
entirely based on the architecture you suggested, as soon as this one is
finalised.

As you can all see, documentation is not exactly my cup of tee, but I am
trying. If you are interested, you can take the lead in articulating 3.0
development plan. I will happily play a supportive role

Cheers

Oleg