hc-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Sutton <adr...@intencha.com>
Subject Re: form urlencoding, was Re: URI query escapes
Date Sat, 21 Jun 2003 22:16:02 GMT
>  I am also wondering why we are not using the java.net.URLEncoder for
> this (is also does not encode *-_.).

I know in the product we develop, we switched away from using
java.net.URLEncoder because it didn't work properly.  Unfortunately the
decision was made before my time so I'm not entirely sure of the
details and it could well be that the bugs were only present back in
JRE 1.1.  I'd say that if we have our own code already I'd continue to
use it, but if not just test java.net.URLEncoder and I'll see if I can
find out from some of the old timers at work exactly why we don't use
it.

I've known us to not use something for legacy reasons or because it
showed up bugs in our code as well, so don't take this as an objection,
just a word of caution.

> Mike

Regards,

Adrian Sutton