hc-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Sutton <adr...@intencha.com>
Subject Re: URI & URIUtil as a separate Commons project?
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:54:29 GMT

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 10:49  PM, Ortwin Gl├╝ck wrote:

> Kalnichevski, Oleg wrote:
>> 1) URL encoding logic that constitutes almost a half of the reusable
>> code in URI related classes clearly belongs to Commons-Codec package.
>> URL encoding & decoding functions should be merged with Commons-Codec
>> rather than spun off. HttpClient will introduce Commons-Codec as a
>> dependency in the future. So, we should rather extend the existing
>> frameworks, not create competing ones.
>
> Makes sense to me. It would be way too much of an overhead to have a
> full-blown Commons Subproject for just two classes as well. Just
> imagine all the building / release process, management, Website etc.
> And you need developers as well.

Sounds quite reasonable.  The other thing to consider is exactly how
much the URI classes are likely to change anyway.  They pretty much do
what's required now and I find it hard to imagine there'd be too many
changes that need to be made.

In terms of reuse, it is quite simple to just pull out the classes and
use them separately if required anyway and realistically you don't want
to have to add another jar file to your distribution just for URI
classes when it's so easy to package them up into your main jar anyway.

Just my two cents,

Adrian Sutton.