hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Re: 2.0 release - deprecate some methods? & test case always certainly...?
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:26:03 GMT
> Actually, I don't understand that you might notice and you might wonder
> why there is encoding change menu in your web browser.  and you can
> test it yourself though.

Knock, knock. Hello, anybody home? Half a year ago, when this whole story started I tried
to explain you one simple thing: in Java the concept of charset (encoding) is applicable to
String to byte[] or byte[] to String conversions only. I do not speak English natively too
and routinely have to deal with different Cyrillic encodings. I cannot think of a single case
where String to String would make any sense, as Java uses Unicode (two byte) for string representation.

Laura argued that some Far East alphabets might be inadequately represented in Unicode. This
is the only plausible explanation that I can think of. THIS IS EXACTLY THE USE CASE I HAVE
BEEN ASKING YOU TO PRODUCE FOR 5 (FIVE) MONTHS

> But, not a duty... it's voluteering... no pay...
> even the code constribution here...

Guess what? We do not get paid either. But at least any other HttpClient contributor does
make an effort to listen to his/her fellow developers. This has nothing to do with getting
paid or not.

Oleg