hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject URI & URIUtil as a separate Commons project?
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:40:36 GMT
Sung-Gu and all,

I must confess I have had a change of heart on this issue. I am no more convinced that URI
& URIUtil classes should be spun off into a Commons project of its own.

1) URL encoding logic that constitutes almost a half of the reusable code in URI related classes
clearly belongs to Commons-Codec package. URL encoding & decoding functions should be
merged with Commons-Codec rather than spun off. HttpClient will introduce Commons-Codec as
a dependency in the future. So, we should rather extend the existing frameworks, not create
competing ones.

2) URI specification by itself is just one class. It hardly makes any sense in my opinion
to make a package out of it, even though URI class is clearly useful beyond HttpClient.

Thoughts, objections, counter-arguments?

Oleg