hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Glück <ortwin.glu...@nose.ch>
Subject Re: invalid response code/body
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 07:47:44 GMT
Molina, Teresa wrote:
> I'm experiencing a problem with the response code (and body) returned after
> HttpClient tries to execute a (get) method on an unknown host. If the host
> had previously been in DNS and returned a valid (200, eg) response code,
> subsequent attempts to execute still return that same code and body,
> although the host is actually unavailable. All instances of the client
> object will continue to return the same 200 response until the servlet
> container has been restarted; after the restart, the client does throw the
> expected unknown host exception.

Teresa,

This sounds like DNS caching to me. By "unavailable" you mean the host
has no DNS entry but is still up and running under the same IP as when
it was "available"?
The java.net.InetAddress class does DNS caching. Prior to JDK 1.4 there
is no way to clear the DNS cache, you need to set some System properties
to limit the DNS cache time. From 1.4 on these limits have better
default values.

For 1.3 I usually set the System Properties
sun.net.inetaddr.ttl
sun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl
to a value of 5 each.

HTH

Odi
  NOSE applied intelligence ag
                                    [www]      http://www.nose.ch
  ortwin glück                      [email] ortwin.glueck@nose.ch
  hardturmstrasse 171               [pgp key]          0x81CF3416
  8005 zurich                       [office]      +41-1-277 57 35