hc-dev mailing list archives

From Laura Werner <la...@lwerner.org>
Subject Re: URI query escapes
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:05:18 GMT
Michael Becke wrote:

> Yes, but this is for application/x-www-form-urlencoded values.
> Currently we only assume this content type for post params (this was
> recently fixed).

I think we have to assume it for get params too.  In the HTTP 4.01 spec,
17.13.3.4 <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.13.3.4>:

> If the method is "get" and the action is an HTTP URI, the user agent
> takes the value of action, appends a `?' to it, then appends the form
> data set, encoded using the "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
> content type.  The user agent then traverses the link to this URI. In
> this scenario, form data are restricted to ASCII codes.

So urlencoded seems like the right default for "get" query parameters.

-- Laura

BTW, how do you all feel about newsgroup posts in HTML format?  I left
this one in HTML because of all the links, but I'll stop if any of you
have news readers that can't deal with it.