hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Johnson" <e...@tibco.com>
Subject Re: HttpClient Testimonials
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:18:00 GMT
OK, I'll bite.  My temptation was to provide a bullet point list, but
since you requested _paragraphs_, that means I have to have fully formed
thoughts!

We've used HttpClient in a variety of projects throughout my company.
Someone I work with had an interest in the project, so we tried it out
as a way to work around a specific bug in the Sun 1.3 JRE.  Once we
started using it, though, other features started to prove their worth,
including the automatic support for cookies, the support for
authentication mechanisms, and support for "multipart/form-data" posts.
We also like the fact that HttpClient happens to be "open source" for
all the usual reasons, including the many capable eyes that have been
looking at and tinkering with the project to improve it, the explicit
code-review of changes that keeps the quality high, and testing in a
variety of environments that we simply cannot match, especially since
this technology is not central to what my company does.

Many kudos from me to all those who have put in the work to turn
HttpClient into such a reliable solution, for keeping the project on the
straight-and-narrow, and accepting and managing feedback and patches
well.  Of course, many thanks as well to Apache for hosting the project.

-Eric.