hc-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: URI & URIUtil as a separate Commons project?
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:49:58 GMT
Kalnichevski, Oleg wrote:
> Sung-Gu and all,
>
> I must confess I have had a change of heart on this issue. I am no more convinced that
URI & URIUtil classes should be spun off into a Commons project of its own.

> 1) URL encoding logic that constitutes almost a half of the reusable code in URI related
classes clearly belongs to Commons-Codec package. URL encoding & decoding functions should
be merged with Commons-Codec rather than spun off. HttpClient will introduce Commons-Codec
as a dependency in the future. So, we should rather extend the existing frameworks, not create
competing ones.

> 2) URI specification by itself is just one class. It hardly makes any sense in my opinion
to make a package out of it, even though URI class is clearly useful beyond HttpClient.

> Thoughts, objections, counter-arguments?

I agree 100%. Actually I was planning to post the same thoughts in response
to the proposal :-)

-chris