hc-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Gonsalves <JGonsal...@Xtensible.com>
Subject Socket timeouts and value questions
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:32:45 GMT
I ran into a HttpClient hang at 3 this morning so I now call:
client.setConnectionTimeout(connTimeOut);
client.setTimeout(sockTimeOut);

What are reasonable values, I'm not waiting for the connection to finish
correct, just waiting for valid data?  At first I was thinking it's
going to wait for the connection to finish, which in some cases is
upwards of 10 minutes, large data downloads.  But if it's just a period
of time that nothing comes across the wire then I obviously wouldn't
want to set it to that.

Also, on a side NON HttpClient note.  I'm getting another Socket hang on
the following non HttpClient line:
BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(new
InputStreamReader(url.openStream()));

Is there a way to set a socket timout here?  url is an FTP Url.

Thanks.

Jan Gonsalves