hc-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Gonsalves <JGonsal...@Xtensible.com>
Subject Re: Multiple httpclient sessions and hanging??
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:44:45 GMT
Mike,

Ipersonally don't think it's HTTPClient, however, the running out of
sockets idea is interesting.  I recently hung reading a file with the
following last four lines of the stack trace being:
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:183)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:201)
- locked (a java.io.BufferedInputStream)

Both applications are single threaded, and I haven't done anything with
MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager.  All I did to "go to Beta 1" was
chang out the Jar File.

I also do not close the connection after each request, I close it after
each update, which can be a series of request.  I'm assuming each time I
close the connection I'd have to "log back in" to the website, IE where
the files are kept.  There login page simple consists of a POST command
with a username and password stuck inside, for all to see...  Is it your
recomendation that after each request I close the connection instead of
recycle?  Since I only open the connection once per update, unless I run
into socket timeouts and other catched exceptions in which I first run
close connection then reopen the connection, I believe my single close
at the end is sufficient.

I get no exceptions, without a kill -3, it looks as though it's running
fine and poof, hung.  How can I check my System Socket Usage, is there
some safeguards I can put in to not open unless available?
Thanks for your help!

Jan