hc-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>
Subject Re: Multiple httpclient sessions and hanging??
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:09:25 GMT
Hi Jan,

It is difficult to be sure without a little more detail.  At this point
my only guess is that you are running out of sockets (on either the
client or server) and/or HttpConnections.  It is good that you are using
Beta1.  Alpha3 had some serious problems, particularly with posts and
threading.  Here are a few things that will help to narrow this problem
down:

  - are you using the MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager?
    - if so, are you using a connectionFactory timeout? see
HttpClient.setHttpConnectionFactoryTimeout()
    - if not, how are you managing connection resources?  Are you sure
that connections are being closed?
  - are any exceptions being printed?
  - are you calling HttpMethod.releaseConnection() after each execution?
  - also, try setting SO_TIMEOUT to something reasonable using either
HttpClient.setTimeout() or HttpConnection.setSoTimeout().  If the
execution of a method is stalling in the middle of a read this will
force an exception.

Mike