hc-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Moran <mike_mo...@mac.com>
Subject Re: 300 Multiple Choices handling?
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 11:57:23 GMT
Adrian Sutton wrote:
> Hi Mike,
> HttpClient returns 300 as the status code as would be expected in such a
> case.

Sounds reasonable. Does it also make the body available in this case?

The developer is then free to select whichever option they want.
> The URL you gave however return 302 not 300 and HttpClient throws an
> exception because cross-site redirects are not supported.

Umm. I think HttpClient and wget must disagree:

$ wget --server-response
http://www.blooberry.com//indexdotpreview/html/index8.htm
--12:48:55--  http://www.blooberry.com//indexdotpreview/html/index8.htm
            => `index8.htm'
Resolving www.blooberry.com... done.
Connecting to www.blooberry.com[204.122.16.82]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
  1 HTTP/1.1 300 Multiple Choices

A telnet to port 80 for that page also gives 300 Multiple Choices.

> I'll create a patch for the docs to mention 300 responses.  Anything
> particularly important about them that I should note?

I'm not sure what the docs should say other than pointing out that
you'll need to parse or display the body in some non-HTTP way to get any
sense out of it.

--
Mike Moran