hc-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [SURVEY] Commons-URI or not?
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:37:37 GMT

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Sung-Gu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I suggest that jakarta-commons provides flexible URI issue implementations
> as a package.
>
> Various applications using URI concept comes in the internet world.   and
> they need common mechanisms and algorithms for URI.
>
> For example, all internet programs will need fundamental functionalites of
> URI like extensible parsing and manipulation container for URL reference,
> URN and URC,  escape codec mechanism, charset tranformation functionality,
> URI transformation from real world identities or URN, or other
> transformations related to DNS or telephony...   If it would be prepared
> commonly in Jakarta, we can save development powers.   So I suggest new
> commons-uri package.

If you want to do this, I would recommend starting in the sandbox. That
way, we'll find out if it is viable as a standalone component, and, in
particular, if a community develops around it.

Even though the code originates from HttpClient, I would be against a
Commons-URI component starting out in Commons Proper, because history
shows us that a body of code does not always develop into a viable
component, with its own community, just because it comes from an already
successful project.

--
Martin Cooper