hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject RE: Java can leak...
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 07:51:16 GMT
Jan,

Let me elaborate. No doubt one can still do silly things in Java that may lead to severe memory
problems. However, the point I was trying to make is that Java applications do not 'leak'
memory in a way non-GC applications do. One can easily starve a java application of heap memory
if object allocation & de-allocation strategy is flawed. However, no java application
should ever consume memory above the limit specified with -Xmx option, unless there is a bug
in JVM.

I guess you should try narrowing down the problem somewhat. At the moment all we can do is
to speculate. If you absolutely positive that the problem is somehow triggered by HttpClient,
please let us know some more details on your application's execution environment: OS version,
JVM version, application server or servlet engine used, and so on.

Oleg

-----Original Message-----
From: Jan Gonsalves [mailto:JGonsalves@Xtensible.com]
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 00:09
To: Commons HttpClient Project
Subject: Java can leak...

Oleg,

I understand what you mean my mem alloc, but Java can leak, it's a
proven fact.  Anytime ROOT has a reference to something it makes it
unable to GC, however, if you loose your reference and ROOT still has
it's, that's a memory leak.  ROOT will never GC that memory.  Ask
youself this, if Memory leaks were impossible in JAVA, how can programs
such as JProfiler or OptimizIt sell?

Jan