hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject It's not all about hacking (unfortunately)
Date Fri, 23 May 2003 15:42:30 GMT
Odi, Mike, Adrian

This is some work to be done regarding HttpClient web content & documentation. Some of
the documents are not in a very good shape right now. Besides, we can't always expect Jandalf
to be take care of all these unpleasant chores.

- Update release_notes.txt (missing 2.0a3 changelog entries)

  Sadly enough, we have been quite sloppy about keeping this file up to date. Ideally this
file should get updated along the way, as patches get committed to the CVS. Now we are facing
a rather unpleasant task of having to reconstruct the change log for the 2.0a3 and 2.0b1 releases.
But that needs to be done.

- Update news.xml

  Add a paragraph on 2.0b1 release

- Update status.xml

  Reflect the current state of development and outline the immediate targets. Provide a sketch
of the long term development roadmap, touching upon the objectives of development efforts
towards 2.1 & 3.0 releases.

- SSL guide

  SSL guide is needed really badly. There are a few cases where HttpClient simply does not
work with SSL as expected under specific circumstances. All these nuances need to be documented,
possible workarounds suggested, a roadmap towards a permanent solution clearly defined. (This
one is probably my duty)

- Start working on RELEASE_PLAN_2_1.txt & RELEASE_PLAN_3_0.txt

  We need to clearly articulate our development philosophy and to suggest a roadmap for going
forward past 2.0 release. We have to let the users know what kind of changes & improvements
can be expected and their respective target releases. I think the time is about right

- Upgrade commmons-logging.jar 1.0.3

  I have no idea what version of commmons-logging.jar is currently in ${httpclient-root}\lib.

On a more general note, I also want to suggest beta-2 to follow beta-1 shortly, as soon as
the above-mentioned documents is brought to the level and the first imminent wave of bug reports
is dealt with.

Thoughts?

Oleg