hc-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>
Subject Re: Reading contents of a frameset
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 19:28:25 GMT
Richard,

I think you may be misunderstanding what HttpClient does.  It it just a
client for reading from / writing to an HTTP web server.  It only does
HTTP.  Framesets are an HTML concept.  HTML is just one of the content
types tranferred over HTTP.  The logic for handling HTML, or any other
content type, is handled outside of HttpClient.

In this case I am guessing you are looking for an HTML parser that will
interpret the frameset and download the referenced page.  The same would
go for images, css, etc.

One class that might be of use for handling HTML is URI.  This could be
useful in resolving URIs referenced in a page.  For example if you are
reading HTML from http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/ and you
want to follow the link <a href="../../index.html"></a> you could use
URI to resolve this to http://jakarta.apache.org/index.html.

Mike