hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject RE: SSL Performance Problem
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 14:35:59 GMT

Oleg

-----Original Message-----
From: André Augusto de Oliveira Aragão
[mailto:andre.augusto@ca.tco.net.br]
Sent: Donnerstag, 3. April 2003 15:59
To: 'commons-httpclient-dev@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: SSL Performance Problem

HI!

I think httpclient is having a strange behavior. I´m developing a software
that, among other things, must make performance measurements on web sites.

I have a site called https://callcenter.tco.net.br. This site uses, as you
can see SSL. And I also have this site in a non ssl version -
http://www.tco.net.br/col.

When I try to measure performance in the https://callcenter.tco.net.br, I
get always 3000 ms. I can run a dozen times, and I get it over and over
(with the log turned off), with very small changes - about 4 ms. It´s very
strange. This time is measured only in the second post interaction, ie, in
the reply to the 100-continue server response.

When I use the non-ssl version, the time changes at each try, as expected.

Other problem is the performance. When I use the non-ssl version, the time
changes from 800 ms to 1200 ms. Using the https, it´s always 3000 ms. I have
a similar function wrote in C++, and I get similar times using http or
https. Well, https sometimes get to 1500 ms, but generally speaking, the
degradation is not sensible.

I´m sending my code, and the log generated for both situations, using the
https and the http site.

Another question: Why the httpclient always add the Expect: 100-continue
header? Is it part of the http spec? As I know, it should not be used on
"normal" situations, ie, when you have a small post to do to the server.
Correct me If I´m wrong.

I´m using 2.0-alpha3-dev.

Thanks in advance,

Andre Augusto