hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Slavik Markovich" <Slavik.Markov...@orange.co.il>
Subject RE: Buffered output to socket
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2003 16:06:24 GMT
Well, it depends on the network latency but can amount to seconds (which is a lot).

-----Original Message-----
From: Oleg Kalnichevski [mailto:o.kalnichevski@dplanet.ch]
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2003 5:02 PM
To: Commons HttpClient Project
Subject: RE: Buffered output to socket

Any estimates as to how significant is performance impact?

Oleg

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 17:55, Slavik Markovich wrote:
> The simple reason (as I see it) is performance. Instead of doing several round trips
on the network (send header, receive ack, etc.) you can send the request in one network frame.

> I've checked both IE and Mozilla and they both send the request in one network frame.
> Hope that makes any sense.
>
> Slavik.

ethereal) the client is writing every line to the wire without buffering.
> > After examining the code, I can see that the HttpConnection class is using the output
stream received from the socket directly.
> > Is there a reason for the direct writing?
> > This is a problem for me 'cause the remote server sets a very low timeout and returns
a bad request response after receiving the request line (without any other header line or
request body).