hc-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Sutton <adr...@intencha.com>
Subject Re: RecoverableException -> connection not released from pool?
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:51:09 GMT

On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 11:31  PM, Eric Johnson wrote:

> Jani,
>
> You are undoubtedly correct that better documentation could clarify
> matters!

I would like to point out that our documentation is reasonably clear on
the matter:

* http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/tutorial.html <-
includes the six steps to successfully using HttpClient, step 5 is
release the connection.

* http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/troubleshooting.html <-
troubleshooting step 4 says to check you're following the 6 steps in
the tutorial.

* http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/methods/get.html <- "one
must also be sure to call method.releaseConnection() regardless of the
response received."

* Pretty much all sample code (including snippets) include a call to
releaseConnection.

* Our javadocs are somewhat laking in detail on this matter, but they
have never been anything more than a reference, rather than full
documentation.  Perhaps we should add a link to the user guide from the
javadocs?

This documentation is all fairly new so a lot of people won't have
discovered it yet, but it is definitely worth dropping by
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/ and reading through the
user guide (particularly the tutorial) to get an idea of the best
practice for using HttpClient.

I would appreciate any suggestions or contributions of other articles
that need to be written, cookie handling and SSL connections come to
mind, as I'm very keen to try and keep the docs up to date and of the
highest quality.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.