hc-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Samplonius <...@sdf.com>
Subject Re: redirects not allowed for PostMethod
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 04:54:10 GMT

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Matthew S. Ring wrote:

> conflicts with RFC 2616. Is this stringency really neccesary? Selfishly, it

  I think there is some confusion about RFC2616 and redirected POSTs.
RFC2616 says that POSTs should not be redirected, and no one really does
that.  All current web browsers handle a redirect to a POST, but GETting
the the new location.  In effect, the POST is not really redirected at
all, but the server is just sending you to a new location after receiving
your POST.

  I think httpclient should mimic web browser behaviour, as it is
universal.  However, it is not hard to do it yourself, but read the new
location, and GET it.  So it is not vital for httpclient to do this for
you.  And automatic following of redirects is not really complete in
httpclient anyhow, so you should always be ready to follow redirects if
necessary.

Tom