hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject RE: MultiThread
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:50:44 GMT
Hi Thiago

I regret that your message has been ignored for so long.

1. connection timeouts are perfectly legitimate from the HTTP spec standpoint. HTTP servers
are not supposed to keep connection alive for too long. Probably HttpClient should be a bit
smarter when encountering a stale connection. At the moment HttpClient simply raises a HttpRecoverableException
and let the caller deal with it

2. Since you appear to be handling the multithread synchronization by yourself, anyway, it
may make sense to use SimpleHttpConnectionManager instead of MultiThreadedConnectionManager

Again, Mike Becke is the man to comment of connection pooling related stuff. I hope he'll
correct me if I err on any of these accounts.

Apparently since the way MultiThreadedConnectionManager handles stale connections seems to
irritate quite a few folks out there, something needs to be done about it

Cheers

Oleg

-----Original Message-----
From: Thiago Costa [mailto:thi@infonet.com.br]
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 00:03
To: commons-httpclient-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: MultiThread

Dear Friends,

I'm using the HTTP Client in a pool of connection. I have created a
class that manage a list of URL. For example: i have a list of 100 URLs
of diferent hosts. I want to retrieve all this urls but i don't want
to do this in a sequencial mode. I want to put  some connections in a
paralel mode. Like for example... I want 10 connection in paralel...
Then, when a connection finish an other starts. I want to use this in a
meta engine to retrive documents in Web.

My problem is that httpclient is raising many exeptions of connection
timeout. I'm running my application in  super fast internet provider
and it's not normal these time outs.

Does the httpclient manage a pool of connection like that ?
Does httpclient works well in a multithead mode ? How can i manage a
list of url with a great performance ?

Can you help-me?

Thanks very much

Thiago Costa