hc-dev mailing list archives

From David Kavanagh <...@dotech.com>
Subject Re: post redirect
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:45:16 GMT
Thanks,
While I see your point, I also didn't see any nice way to do this
without yanking a bunch of code out of HttpMethodBase.java and pasting
it into my application. I'd really like the option of overriding the
default behaviour to keep my code simpler. Make sense?
I've developing enough years to have seen the tradeoffs between making
it "perfect" and making it work. I know you are trying to be true to the
RFC, but I've found that with the web, there are always exceptions!

Regards,
David

Kalnichevski, Oleg wrote:

>David
>
>HttpClient is a library, whereas a browser is a totally different kind of beast.
>
>RFC 2616 says the following:
>
>"...
>   If the 301 status code is received in response to a request other
>   than GET or HEAD, the user agent MUST NOT automatically redirect the
>   request unless it can be confirmed by the user, since this might
>   change the conditions under which the request was issued
>..."
>
>A well-behaving browser should provide the end user with a confirmation dialog or a configuration
option to automatically perform POST redirects. HttpClient can't have that luxury, as it is
not supposed to be directly interacting with the end user. I am personally convinced that
POST redirect should be handled by the application that consumes Httpclient's services. All
it basically takes is a retry loop