hc-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Moran <mike_mo...@mac.com>
Subject Re: using httpclient without a HttpClient object (was Redirects?)
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 22:26:23 GMT

On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 09:33 PM, Laura Werner wrote:

> Jeffrey Dever wrote:
>
>> Is there anyone out there that has code that actually calls the
>> HttpMethod.execute()?  Anything that looks like this:
>>
>> HttpState state = new HttpState();
>> HttpConnection = new HttpConnection(host, port, secure);
>> HttpMethod method = new GetMethod(path);
>> int status = method.execute(state, connection);
>
> I do.  I'm the one who doesn't use HttpClient at all, because it's too
> simplistic for me.  I need to maintain a single HttpConnectionManager
> but a bunch of HttpState objects (one per thread in my application),
> so I have my own function that does the same thing as
> HttpClient.executeMethod.
[ ... ]

I would second the request to leave entry points into the `engine'
behind HttpClient.java. As far as I understand it, HttpClient.java is
just an implementation of a simple user agent. My expected use (and
limited current use) of the API would likely not even mention
HttpClient.java and would itself constitute a user-agent.

To take the example of redirects, this is something I need control of
(auto-redirects is the first thing I turn off in Sun's
HttpURLConnection).

--
Mike