hc-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Johnson <e...@tibco.com>
Subject Re: Question about HttpConnection
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:47:15 GMT
Mike,

I think this relates directly to the posting today by Jani Mattsson.  As
best I understand it, when using HTTPS to connect via a proxy server,
the connection to the proxy server itself is not encrypted (the CONNECT
method goes to the proxy server unencrypted).  Only once the connection
has been established with the proxy server does encryption get thrown
on.  From that point on, the proxy server doesn't need to see the
contents of the connection, merely pass the bytes through on an open
socket.  (Although it occurs to me that proxy servers could launch
"man-in-the-middle" attacks on the exchange, so HTTPS via a proxy server
is no more secure than the extent to which you trust your proxy server).
 Someone who understands proxies better than I might be able to provide
more info.

Thus, Jani's problem arises, wherein, should a retry become necessary,
and the connection has been closed by the remote server or the proxy,
then HttpMethodBase does not do the right thing to reopen the
connection.  Yet one more reason to move the retry logic - and perhaps
we cannot afford to wait until after 2.0 final for this one.

-Eric