hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Jesus M. Salvo Jr." <jesus.sa...@migasia.com>
Subject Redirect to a different domain not supported?
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2003 04:11:12 GMT

Using Alpha2, when I do an HTTP GET from an Australian ISP to
www.google.com with setFollowRedirects set to true,

    HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
    HostConfiguration config = new HostConfiguration();
    config.setHost( "www.google.com", 80, "http" );
    client.setHostConfiguration( config );

    Method method = new GetMethod( "/" );
    method.setFollowRedirects( true );
    int returnCode = client.executeMethod( method );

I get:

750 [main] WARN httpclient.HttpMethod  - Redirect from host
www.google.com to www.google.com.au is not supported

I had a look at the code and it was comparing the hostname of the
original URL and the hostname of the redirect to URL ... and if they do
not match, it does not follow the redirect.

Why is this so? Is this specifically prohibited in the HTTP RFC? If yes,
why does browsers follow them anyway?