hc-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>
Subject Re: Pooling HttpClient
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:51:01 GMT
I believe this is a bug that was recently fixed.  I would recommend
using the most recent code from CVS until the next release (alpha 3 or
beta 1) comes out.

Mike

Sinead Whelan wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wish to use HttpClient in a servlet based application. The HttpClient will be used
to communicate with another internal server (always the same server). This communications
will be in HTTP over SSL and I would like to be able to reuse connections to the server without
having to do an expensive SSL handshake all the time. I would intend to have a long timeout
on the HTTP connection (~15 minutes).

> Currently in my servlet I have code similar to below,
>
> class MyServlet extends HttpServlet {
>
>    static HttpConnectionManager httpConnectionManager = new MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager();
>    static HttpClient httpClient = new HttpClient(httpConnectionManager);
>
>     public void init() {
>         httpConnectionManager.setMaxConnectionsPerHost(150);
>     }
>

>     public void doPost(Req req, Response resp) {
>         PostMethod post = new PostMethod(url.getPath());
>         post.setRequestContentLength(PostMethod.CONTENT_LENGTH_CHUNKED);
>        post.addParameter("TestReq", "Hello");
>
>         int result = httpClient.executeMethod(post);
>
>         post.releaseConnection();
>     }
>
> }
>
> This does not appear to work when a few users/threads are accessing the servlet at the
same time. I get the following error message on the executeMethod():

> Recoverable exception caught when reading response - couldn't find valid http header.
(or something like that!)

> Do you think that this is the correct way to use it if you want to pool connection to
same server (should I use static HttpClient)?