hc-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Dever <jsde...@sympatico.ca>
Subject deprecate Base64 - use commons-codec in 2.1
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 00:45:40 GMT
The Commons Codec project (currently in the sandbox) is taking the
responsibility for maintaining the Base64 class that is in common use in
Jakarta.

They initially took the code from the httpclient package (including the
associated tests), and have merged some changes that were made by the
xml-rpc project, which was also based on the Base64 in httpclient (which
was in turn based on a version in Slide).

I propose we take steps to support the commons-codec project by using
them as the authoritative source for Base64 in HttpClient.

As the Base64 class in HttpClient is public, should deprecate the
HttpClient Base64 class now, but not remove it untill 2.1 to give users
time to adjust.  We will also have to add codec as a runtime dependancy,
which should also be done in 2.1 to maintain stability for the current
work on 2.0.  This will also give some time for codec to be promoted out
of the sandbox.

Jandalf.