hc-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Dever <jsde...@sympatico.ca>
Subject using httpclient without a HttpClient object (was Redirects?)
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 20:46:36 GMT
Is there anyone out there that has code that actually calls the
HttpMethod.execute()?  Anything that looks like this:

HttpState state = new HttpState();
HttpConnection = new HttpConnection(host, port, secure);
HttpMethod method = new GetMethod(path);
int status = method.execute(state, connection);

As opposed to this:
HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
HttpMethod method = new
GetMethod("http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/");
int status = client.executeMethod(method);

Anyone that is using the httpclient package without ever instantiating a
HttpClient object, speak now, or forever hold your peace.  If we want to
do redirects right, simplify the monolithic HttpMethod, then we are
talking about the possibility of removing  HttpConnection and
HttpMethod.execute() from the public interface, and your code will break.

If nobody actually uses HttpClient like this, and have compelling
reasons for it, then I don't think this is too late to add this
important functionality.