hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Hoegg <rho...@isisnetworks.net>
Subject Re: more common classes need a home
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 01:18:32 GMT
Jeffrey Dever wrote:

> There are still a bunch of classes that are in both HttpClient and
> Slide.  In particular:
> Base64.java
> HttpsURL.java
> HttpURL.java
> URIException.java
> URI.java
> URIUtil.java
> URLUtil.java
>
> First of all, I think these should come out of Slide as part of their
> migration to commons-httpclient which is still underway.
>
> Second, I thnk that these classes are too general to be part of
> HttpClient.  They have use well beyond a http client, and so should be
> available to other packages without requiring the commons-httpclient.jar.
>
> Do people agree with me?  If so, any idea where these could go?
> Perhaps the root of org.apache.commons?  or a new commons-net
> package?  put Base64 in commons-lang, and create a new commons-uri
> package?

Base64 at least is in the Commons Codec package, which is currently in
the sandbox.

In Apache XML-RPC, we recently discovered interoperability problems with
Base64, and fixed them.  We will be pushing these changes upstream to Codec.

We are leaning towards introducing a dependency instead of rolling them
into our JARs, as some of the contributors have found wierd classloader
problems if the same class is in the classpath more than once.

I would agree with you for the others, they are useful to more than just
this project.

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks