hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <o.kalnichev...@dplanet.ch>
Subject RE: 2.0 beta 1 development
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:51:45 GMT

> I agree. Apache is a "scratch your itch" organisation. ;-) People work on
> what they want to work on. That, IMHO, is the way open source should be.

True, to an extent. Unfortunately, open-source is known to be weak at
tackling little nasty problems or tedious and difficult to reproduce
problems that nobody really feels thrilled about. HttpClient client is
exactly at such critical juncture right now. We have only a handful of
outstanding bugs that have been sitting on out to-do list for weeks &
months. I doubt I will see people queue to contribute patches for those
problems

Take a look at the most successful open-source projects out there. They
may differ in many ways but they all usually one thing in common: they
combine a freewheeling nature of open-source development with string
leadership and dedicated, disciplined core of developers. Those
developers do things that need to be done (at least form time to time).

Oleg