hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <o.kalnichev...@dplanet.ch>
Subject Re: The use of UTIUtil.toUsingCharset?
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:50:15 GMT
> >I can't say I comletely agree with your point (or understand it), but so be it.
> >

> Feel free to ask for clarification.

Laura
I feel this whole issue has been blown out of all reasonable
proportions. I really regret about having been too emotional. I do admit
I overdid with my sarcasm.

I did get your point. My one and only problem is not being able to
understand the purpose of toUsingCharset. Please correct me if err, but
you seem to share it

> Basically I was trying (in my wordy way) to say that toUsingCharset
> seems to do two things:
>
> - Convert the Unicode string to an array of bytes using the converter
> for "fromCharset"
> - Convert the bytes back to Unicode using the converter for "toCharset".
>
> This makes no sense to me.

That's the whole point! That is my ONE & ONLY problem!

>  When you're doing character-set-aware
> programming and have an array of bytes, you always need to keep a
> (byte[], charset name) pair, so you know what the bytes *mean*.  The
> bytes by themselves are just a bit stream; the character set name tells
> you how to interpret the bits into "abstract" characters that mean
> something to a human.  toUsingCharset is converting the Unicode string
> to a bit stream using one mechanism, then converting back to Unicode
> using another mechanism.  I don't know how this could ever do anything
> useful.

So don't I. And I am not alone. Sung-Su has been repeatedly asked to
provide a test cases by me & Odi. He has been ignoring these requests. I
just can't understand what's the deal with refusing to provide a test
case?

> >Had not Sung-Su refused to provide a simple unit test case for this method, this
discussion would have been put to an end a few months ago. But apparently writing test cases
is for losers

> How about if we just deprecate the @#% thing and the two URIUtil methods
> that call it?

I really do not want to do anything without Sung-Gu's consent. I have
been really trying to be a good team player. Besides, I have been always
acting under assumption that there may be things I just do not
understand. If I could see a test case, I guess I would be able to
figure things out

Many thanks

Ole