hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Walsh" <daniel.wals...@verizon.net>
Subject SocketException While Uploading Large File With MultipartPostMethod
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 03:04:18 GMT
As I mentioned in a previous posting (Subject: MultipartPostMethod Holding File Stream Open?),
I'm using the MultipartPostMethod to upload a file to a servlet.  Here is the example code
that I included in the other posting:

> File file = new File(strUrl);
>
> HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
> HostConfiguration hostConfig = new HostConfiguration();
> MultipartPostMethod mpPost = new MultipartPostMethod();
>
>  hostConfig.setHost(someURL.getHost(), someURL.getPort(),
> someURL.getProtocol());
> client.setConnectionTimeout(30000);
> client.setHostConfiguration(hostConfig);
>
> mpPost.addParameter("someName", "someValue");
> mpPost.addParameter(file.getName(), file);
>
> mpPost.setPath(strPath);
> client.executeMethod(mpPost);
>
> String confirmUpload = tpPost.getResponseBodyAsString();
> mpPost.releaseConnection();

I've been uploading some small text files (about 14KB each) and it seems to work properly
in this situation.  However, when I try to do the same with a 20MB file (I realize that this
is a very large file, however, I want to test it's performance) a SocketException is thrown.

java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: socket write error
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:126)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.multipart.FilePart.sendData(FilePart.java:198)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.multipart.Part.send(Part.java:197)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.MultipartPostMethod.writeRequestBody(MultipartPostMethod.java:203)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.writeRequest(HttpMethodBase.java:1974)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.processRequest(HttpMethodBase.java:2298)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute(HttpMethodBase.java:915)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:557)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:474)
        at test.FileUploader.upload(FileUploader.java:179)
        at test.FileUploader.main(FileUploader.java:341)

Is there some kind of cap on the file size that I can send?  If so, at what size is the cap
set?