hc-dev mailing list archives

From neal.johnston-w...@ubs.com
Subject Possible code page problem
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 08:11:58 GMT
Hi,

I am working with Cactus 1.4.1 on WebSphere NT and also WebSphere z/OS
(mainframe). The problem seems to be with HTTPClient. I have tried with
the nightly build on the 7th December and the problem is still there.

I am trying to get basic cactus servlet tests working on WebSphere z/OS.
Everything works fine through WebSphere NT, however, when the same
application is deployed to WebSphere z/OS then we get the following
error:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?><?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl"
href="junit-noframes.xsl"?><testsuites><testsuite
name="TestCactusServlet" tests="1" failures="0" errors="1"
time="10.184"><testcase name="testNeal" time="10.182"><error
message="Error in parsing the status  line from the response: unable to
find line starting with &quot;HTTP/&quot;"
type="org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpRecoverableException">org.apache
.commons.httpclient.HttpRecoverableException:
Error in parsing the status  line from the response: unable to find line
starting with &quot;HTTP/&quot;
      at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.readStatusLine(HttpMethodBa
se.java:1791)
      at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.readResponse(HttpMethodBase
.java:1559)
      at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.processRequest(HttpMethodBa
se.java:2219)
      ... etc ...

I have verified that the Application Server on WebSphere z/OS is working
fine. I set the logging on the cactus to DEBUG and noticed that the data
that the HTTPClient is retrieving from the connection is scrambled. For
example:

16:06:20,213 [WebSphere t=009d7920] DEBUG ent.HttpClientConnectionHelper
-
>getCookieString = [null]
16:06:20,317 [WebSphere t=009d7920] DEBUG httpclient.wire
- >> "ÇÅã@aã?¢£Ã?? etc...

On WebSphere NT the data at this point looks OK.

What springs to mind is maybe ascii/ebcdic conversion problem. z/OS uses
unicode  for java, as it should. However, the HTTPClient creates it own
socket connection to the app server and therefore it is connecting to
non java code. In such a situation codepage conversion is necessary.

I have raised a problem on this through Bugzilla (* 15526) but so far no
response. Could anybody adsvise me on this error? I am prepared to help
out coding and testing but I would like some thoughts on this from the
developers of HTTPclient before I go steaming in there.

Regards,

Neal