hc-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Moran <mike_mo...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Configurable DNS resolver?
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:44:21 GMT

On Monday, January 27, 2003, at 08:13 AM, Ortwin Gl├╝ck wrote:

> Mike Moran wrote:
>> I just thought I'd ask if there was any way to configure the DNS
>> resolver that HTTPClient uses? Does it just rely on the built-in
>> resolver?
>
> Yes it does.

I've thought about this further and it would be sufficient for any of
the GET/POST/BLAH methods to accept a URL (or whatever they have now)
and, in addition, an IP address. The intent would be that the
resolution process is done outside the HTTPClient library and the info
is simply passed in. The library would then not call any InetAddress
methods if the address is passed in.

> > Whereabouts would one go about inserting a different one?
>
> Ask Sun?

I'll look into it, but I investigated this a year or so ago and then
there was no way to replace the client side resolver. Regardless, one
of the main reasons I would do this would be to avoid synchronous
lookups. Even if the Java API was pluggable, it does not support
asynchronous lookups.

--
Mike