hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject RE: performance
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:03:39 GMT
I am not aware of HttpClient being specifically optimized for performance. May other developers
correct me if I err, rather, I believe, HttpClient is being developed primarily with standards
compliance in mind. However, I am by no means entitled to speak on behalf of all HttpClient
developers, so take it as my personal opinion

Most probable explanation to such significant difference in performance numbers is the fact
that HttpClient does a pretty decent job reusing active connections (thanks to Mike Becke).
I doubt Sun's HttpURLConnection supports any sort of connection pooling at all.

Oleg

-----Original Message-----
From: Derk Muenchhausen [mailto:derkm@web.de]
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 13:40
To: commons-httpclient-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: performance

Hi,

I just compared the performance of Sun's HttpURLConnection with Apache's
HttpClient. I tried several times a chunked communication with four 8192
byte chunks.

HttpURLConnection needs about 890 ms, HttpClient needs just 722 ms.

Was my measuring wrong? Is HttpClient really faster than
HttpURLConnection? What have you done, that HttpClient got significant
faster?

Derk