hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Time for more mailing lists ?
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 19:32:07 GMT
Jeffrey Dever wrote:

> Logical or not, these groupings are arbitrairy.  Why enforce a
> grouping? Give users the finest granularity possible, and then they
> can choose their own group of lists to join based on their interests.
> And have trivial filtering to boot.  If you REALLY wanted to have
> groupings, you could compose them from the fine grained lists.  A meta
> list of lists as it were, where the meta list would subscribe to other
> lists and the users could subscribe to the meta lists or the fine
> grained lists as it suited them.
>
> -jsd
> Jandalf
> Jeff Dever

As someone who is on alot of different apache lists, it tends to make
sense to me to just extend that into commons, but is also the case that
the crossover is important. Since httpclient got its own list, its
involvement as a commons component has become less "exposed" to the
group given its off on its own email list. It is easy to join the http
list, but does it give us the crossover that benefits the commons so
much? This issue is one of perspective:

Perspective 1: Lots of discussion on the list associated with component
X is not of interest to the rest of us, why do we have to see it.

Perspective 2: We really like to see whats going on in all the
components, having interaction promotes interoperability.

Perspective 3: With one list it is difficult to search for specific
content associated with one component without getting results for all
the others.

I like Jeff's idea, but it seems there would be issues relating to
How would one ensure that a response was made to the correct list?
Would messages always be "sent" by the users of the sub-lists with the
meta-list only being for users "recieving" the emails?

This is all dependent on if this is actually possible.
Mark