hc-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Johnson <e...@tibco.com>
Subject Re: MultipartPostMethod - Passing Parameters
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:16:57 GMT
I missed that the problem lies with the server the first time I read
this post as well.  Tomcat does not support multipart/form-data
requests, in the sense that it will not parse and extract the parameters
for you (and there are good reasons for this, as it doesn't fit nicely
in the servlet API - at least not yet - I've not looked at upcoming
changes to the API).  You can of course write code to do this if you
want to, or you can use the simpler PostMethod class.

If you need the multipart/form-data POST support,  you might look for
Jason Hunter's servlet utilities package (cos.jar, I think).  Does
anyone know of other Java packages that handle multipart/form-data
request parsing on the server?

-Eric.

Kalnichevski, Oleg wrote:

>Dave, Daniel
>
>I am sorry if my previous statement turned out to be confusing or unclear. I do think
that PostMethod may be more appropriate in your case. MultipartPostMethod usually comes handy
when you need to submit binary data along with some parameters with a single HTTP request.
In most cases, however simple HTTP POST (represented by PostMethod class) should suffice.

>I suspect that the problem in your case lies with the server rather than with the client
(I have no concrete evidence of that, though. It's just a guess on my part) What servlet engine
are you using? If you are using Tomcat, what version? Are you sure it supports 'multipart/form-data'
content type?