hc-dev mailing list archives

From Laura Werner <la...@lwerner.org>
Subject Re: Would anyone miss GetMethod.setUseDisk()?
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:04:01 GMT
Ortwin Gl├╝ck wrote:

>> One possible enhancement to 2.1 would be to add a Cache module which
>> would work like a web browser cache to write gets to file and refers
>> to the cache before pulling the resource again.  Just a thought.
>

> Cool, if this is something our users want. I don't want to build in
> functionality that nobody uses, though.

I've already got one of these, actually.  The API isn't very pretty,
though: you access it by asking it for a File, and it either returns the
cached file or downloads a new one and then returns that, depending on
whether the old one is expired.  It obeys all the messy HTTP 1.1 caching
rules and everything.  I've been debating whether to change it to
parallel the normal httpclient API instead, and may do that when I
re-integrate it with the Alpha 2 release of httpclient.  Though I think
you'd still want a way of asking for the File too, because sometimes
that's what the client really wants, after all.

After httpclient 2.0 is finished (-:), I can see if the powers that be
here are willing to make this open source.  My boss's boss once managed
the IBM project that  turned into Apache XML and I once managed an IBM
i18n project that we open-sourced, so there's a good chance we'd be willing.

If we did this, I think we'd want to do it as a module that sat on top
of httpclient, rather than as a core part of httpclient itself.  Maybe
even a separate jar, but part of the same build or something.

Laura Werner
BeVocal