hc-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Dallaway <rich...@dallaway.com>
Subject Re: Moving addParameter in HttpMethod interface
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2003 10:29:10 GMT
Jeff Dever wrote:
 > Only Post has "parameters".  These are distinct from "query arguments".
 >  Parameters are URL encoded and sent in the request body where query
 > arguments are URL encoded and sent as part of the request line.

Jeff... ok, I see what you're saying. Thanks for clarifying that.   I
was thinking addParameter could  change (that is, append to) the query
string for a GET method..  So this wouldn't  be "adding a parameter" in
the strict sense that you describe, but would be a simple convenience to
the user of the API who wanted to add a  "property" to a request
regardless of what kind of method they were using.

I guess it's a trade-off between being close to the HTTP spec (in the
terminology used) and providing an abstraction for a user of the API.
I may yet play with the code and try this out to see how it feels, in
the interests of "Have[ing] an API which should be as simple to use as
possible".

Richard