hc-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Sutton <adrian.sut...@ephox.com>
Subject RE: NTLM tests fail when building with jdk1.3.1
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 00:33:35 GMT
Jandalf (and middle earth creatures of all kinds),

We use HttpClient and NTLM on 1.3.1 quite heavily (I developed the NTML
stuff on 1.3.1 actually).

I did the following:

On 1.3.1 run maven test (I haven't done an update in quite a while) and all
tests pass.
Perform cvs update
On 1.4.1 run maven test and all tests pass,
On 1.3.1 I get 2 tests fail with DES Encryption not available errors.

So I rolled back to httpclient source as at 1 Jan 2003 and the tests pass on
1.3.1 again.

Rolling forward from there I find that the tests pass on 4 Jan 2003 and fail
on 5 Jan 2003.

The change to the project.xml file is quite likely to be the culprit. :)
Essentially prior to 5 Jan no JSSE dependency was declared to Maven so you
had to have JSSE on your classpath somewhere and it would then be used.  On
Jan 5 a dependency was added so that maven put JSSE on the classpath but it
didn't include the apparently crucial US_export-policy.jar file (probably
due to legal reasons) and so DES encryption wasn't available (by default
it's restricted I guess).

Supporting this theory is the fact that when I comment out those
dependencies the tests pass again.

When running on JDK 1.4 this won't turn up because the JSSE that comes with
1.4 is on the blessed classpath and takes precedence over anything maven
puts there.

Someone with better knowledge of the maven repository, JSSE and export
regulations will have to help out here to actually fix the problem.  You can
rest assured that NTLM is working correctly with the latest code and that
the tests do pass if you comment out the dependencies.

My remaining concern is that Jandalf said that he wasn't getting that
exception but a different one which I can't reproduce.  Jandalf, would you
mind posting the actual error report you get please (apologies if I missed
it)?

Adrian Sutton, Software Engineer
Ephox Corporation
www.ephox.com