hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject RE: Let's face it: HttpClient API is more complex that it could have been
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 13:25:35 GMT
>>- HttpClient.execute() should always work with full URLs. I feel that client.getHostConfiguration().setHost(host,
port); client.execute(path) sequence is unnecessarily complex.

>Completely agree.  The Url*Method classes need to go away, and the
>constructor should take a full string URL as  a parameter, parse it, and
>figure out host, port, everything it can from the url.  A URL object
>might be good too.  Feel free to work on that if you are into it.

I'll happily do so. This refinement could be (probably even should be) coupled with the work
on better protocol management. I just want to take care of few known problems first, like
the one with blank "Host" header I reported earlier. And that documentation thing [sigh]

>>- The purpose of HttpMethod.recycle() may not be obvious to some
>>
>Its not strictly necessisary, its a performance optimization.

I believe with HttpMethod split into HttpRequest/HttpResponse pair one would not need to recycle
anything. One could simply re-execute the same request having changed a few properties. I
doubt that there's much to be gained from recycling HTTP responses. The main point here, the
purpose and most importantly the use pattern of HttpMetthod is not obvious

>>Now everyone is welcome to start throwing bad tomatoes at me ;-)))
>>
>I don't have any bad tomatoes, how about some bad apples? <grin>

All right. Apples would do ;-)

Oleg