hc-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Dever <jsde...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: Moving from HttpMultiClient to HttpClient
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2002 01:34:15 GMT
All I have at this point is the commit comment:

What's new:

- HostConfiguration, a new class for combining host/proxy info
- HttpConnectionManager, this is a new interface to replace the previous
class
- SimpleHttpConnectionManager, an implementation of
HttpConnectionManager that gives access to a single connection
- When using HttpClient with the multi-threaded connection manager
HttpConnections must be released before they can be reused. Currently
there are three ways of doing this:
1) HttpMethod.releaseConnection(), following a client.executeMethod()
2) fully read the method's response stream
3) allow the connection to be garbage collected by losing a reference to
the method. this is not terribly efficient and is mostly just a safety
mechanism to ensure that connections are not lost.

What's changed:

- HttpConnectionManager has been renamed to
MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager and complies with the
HttpConnectionManager interface
- HttpClient, most of the previous methods have been deprecated and
replaced by ones that make sense for multiple thread access. an attempt
has been made to make all data thread-safe.