hc-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Dever <jsde...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: Let's face it: HttpClient API is more complex that it could have been
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 13:10:16 GMT

>- ideally HttpMethod interface should be split into HttpRequest/HttpResponse pair.

Perhaps the useability is slightly better by returning a HttpResponse,
but the real benefit would be in simplification.  HttpMethodBase is
simply to monolithic, and this is one reasonable approach to trim it
down.  This should definately be a consideration for 2.1.

>- HttpClient.execute() should always work with full URLs. I feel that client.getHostConfiguration().setHost(host,
port); client.execute(path) sequence is unnecessarily complex.

Completely agree.  The Url*Method classes need to go away, and the
constructor should take a full string URL as  a parameter, parse it, and
figure out host, port, everything it can from the url.  A URL object
might be good too.  Feel free to work on that if you are into it.

>- The purpose of HttpMethod.recycle() may not be obvious to some

Its not strictly necessisary, its a performance optimization.

>- We should think of a browser as a paradigm for HttpClient's "modus operandi": start
the damn thing, hit that url, get response, move to the next one

Agreed.

>Now everyone is welcome to start throwing bad tomatoes at me ;-)))

I don't have any bad tomatoes, how about some bad apples? <grin>