hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Jack" <aj...@TrySybase.com>
Subject java.net.SocketException
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:30:48 GMT
All,
Please  forgive me if this is an FAQ, but I can't seem to find a mailing
list archive.
I seem to get this exception (see stack trace below) a lot in my "robot"
which makes continual calls back to a site, so probably (not sure of the
details) is keeping alive the same TCP/IP connection. I can't seem to
predict when I'll get it.
Question 1: Is this something wrong at my server side (some failure to
implement KeepAlive correctly), or more likely something with the TCP/IP
connection timing out or something?
Question 2: Can I stop this occurring with some configuration or usage
change?
Question 3: Is this something I ought catch and retry?
Note: I just tried this on the latest nightly drop & still get the same
behaviour. I see the startSession/endSession calls are deprecated, but I am
still using them (as I was before.)

P.S. Unrelated, but what is up with java.net.URL complaining about "news://"
URLs saying it doesn't know the protocol. I can't seem to make "nntp://"
make IE happy. Why does the JDK care what the protocol is until it tries to
connection? Ought I try the JDK1.4 URI instead of URL to parse these things
for me?
regards
Adam

-------------------------------

java.net.SocketException
[java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: JVM_recv in socket
input stream read] (java.net.SocketException)java.net.SocketException:
Connection reset by peer: JVM_recv in socket input stream read at
java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method) at
java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:116) at
java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:144) at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.readLine(HttpConnection.java:76
4) at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.readStatusLine(HttpMethodBase.j
ava:1843) at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.readResponse(HttpMethodBase.jav
a:1608) at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.processRequest(HttpMethodBase.j
ava:2266) at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute(HttpMethodBase.java:862
) at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:550)
at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod

--
<http://www.TrySybase.com>
Experience Sybase Technology ...