hbase-user mailing list archives

From Arwin Tio <arwin....@hotmail.com>
Subject TimeoutException on Snapshots
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2019 06:56:31 GMT
Hi all,

I've been running into these issues after restoring from snapshots:

Essentially, HRegion#addRegionToSnapshot has been timing out in TakeSnapshotHandler, resulting
in some leftover tmp files. The leftover tmp files causes archivedHFileCleaner, which manifests
in an extremely large archive folder that doesn't get cleaned up.

HBASE-16464 solves the bloating archive folder by preventing the SnapshotRegionManifest from
being written if the operation has timed out (see: https://github.com/apache/hbase/commit/ab011391ab392f1a62b6ea9bdca87fc950af42a9#diff-4ec74c1b12f2be4f52c33260fd8b73efR86)

My question is: is it safe to ignore these TimeoutExceptions? if the SnapshotRegionManifests
are not being written due to a timeout does that mean we are losing data or getting inconsistencies?

If so, what are some potential remedies for this? I'm thinking we can just increase the timeout
'hbase.snapshot.master.timeout.millis' but is there a better way?

Thanks