hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] No more release branches for 1.x, release from branch-1 directly
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2018 19:35:58 GMT
Please be advised I plan to RM the next minor release from branch-1, 1.5.0,
in January of 2019. Once this is done we can continue making maintenance
releases from branch-1.4 as needed but expect that not to be necessary
after a couple of months (or perhaps even immediately).

I see no need to make a branch-1.5. As community resources continue to
shift away from branch-1 we need to conserve available attention. I don't
see why we cannot release directly from branch-1. Certainly in the
beginning any branch-1.5 would be lock step with branch-1. No distinction
in branch curation means no need for a new branch, at least initially.
Also, should a commit land in branch-1 that requires a new minor per our
compatibility guidelines then I don't see why the next release from
branch-1 cannot a new minor (1.6.0, etc.) right there and then. We have
expressed intent to make more frequent minor releases anyhow.

Related, I started a DISCUSS thread about EOL of branch-1.3.

In my opinion the optimal future for branch-1, until all attention moves
away from it, is continuing releases directly from branch-1 and perhaps
branch-1.2 (depends on Busbey's plans for it).

If you would prefer we continue to make new branches for minor code lines,
I can do that for 1.5, no problem, but perhaps you will agree it is no
longer necessary.

--
Best regards,
Andrew