hbase-user mailing list archives

From Water Guo <water....@antsdb.com>
Subject Re: AntsDB is released with MySQL compatibility for HBase
Date Tue, 08 May 2018 01:09:56 GMT
AntsDB can handle joins and nested queries. It has a query optimizer that can use the proper
index if it is available. It is almost one order of magnitude faster than querying HBase if
the the query goes across multiple tables, i.e. a join. It is able to achieve this by using
the local storage as the cache. AntsDB will be more than happy doing all the crazy lookups
and joins locally than bothering HBase. Just imaging a foreign key lookup, it only takes AntsDB
1000 cpu cycles, while it takes about 1ms for HBase to do it, if you are lucky.

Nevertheless, AntsDB is not designed to scan billions of records to produce a very complex
report. I believe big data query is already a resolved problem completed by Spark, Spark SQL,
MapReduce or alike. My goal is to reduce the latency to the minimum to query the hot data.
In my test, AntsDB performs at the same level of MySQL with joins going across 5 tables with
millions of rows falls into the scan range conditions. For scans larger than this, Spark is
the answer.

In the worse case, if the query exceeds the design capability so that it seems hangs up, it
always can be killed using the MySQL KILL QUERY statement.

~water